Monday, August 17, 2009

Proof-reading is a beautiful thing.

I was in the bookstore today on campus for various reasons, and I thought I'd stroll up to the computer store they have there just to see if by chance they sell tape cassette adapters, you know, for me and the other five people on the planet that still have tape players in their cars.

You see, I'm driving down to California this week and I wanted to play my iPod while I'm in the middle of the desert, all alone, running out of gas, risking death for the sake of some sort of a shred of hope at a successful career in music.

Believe it or not, they do in fact sell tape cassette adapters. $15. I couldn't believe it. It was tucked away in the very top corner of the store behind a wall. They have two in stock.

Anyway while I was there I also happened to notice a little pamphlet, made by Dell, as an advertisement/direct attack on Apple. It's in the shape of an iPhone.
First of all, I really hate it when a company advertises by directly attacking another company. But 'tis at least 10 times worse when they're attacking a company far superior to them, and they make themselves look like incompetent idiots by putting a comma in the wrong spot.

What this should say is:

"Never mind that our computers are full of bugs, nothing is compatible with anything, everything takes three times as long to do, and we're too lazy to have our mass-produced advertisements be proof-read by a literate human being. At least we can charge less! That's all that matters!"

Seriously. The comma belongs between the words "discount" and "you", not where it is now. Are they trying to communicate to innocent consumers like me that no one at Dell passed their English classes, and so they're taking out their frustrations on Apple just for being better than them? It hurts my feelings.


---

3 comments:

  1. Easy Steve-o. The comma is correctly placed to set off a clause describing the savings. And Dell only puts together computers, it doesn't manufacture operating systems. So while it does compete with Apple, it doesn't directly compete through operating systems. Microsoft is the one you really have your beef with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHERE in Cali are you driving to exactly??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see what they're trying to do with that comma, that is, the separate clause that Chris mentioned, but I think it's awkward.

    ReplyDelete