Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life, and all its ups and downs

So I always thought that BYU had the monopoly on ridiculously talented, and possibly unhealthily addicted, frisbee players. You know what I'm talking about. Ultimate Frisbee. It's like a crippling disease in Provo.

Well, tonight, my eyes were opened.

I went and played some frisbee with a bunch of people from the ward here, and I've never known the game to be so extreme. They all had cleats, they brought cones for the end zones, and the part that I really didn't see coming... they had formations.

I never knew. I mean even some of the best people that I played with at the Y didn't do that. But these guys have it down to an art form. They make formations in the middle of the field and then branch out to the sides and they're very particular about it. After about 15 seconds they realized that I was not one of them, so they stopped the game to teach me.

It changed my world forever, and I still feel unworthy to call myself a frisbee player ever again.

Actually I didn't end up playing for very long because I rotated out, and then I ended up having a deep theological discussion with a girl who came that is not a member of my church. First time that's happened in like four years. A nice change of pace.

Wait, there's more. Today the landlord's assistant, Mr. Nickles, came by and dropped off a microwave! Best day of my life! I can actually eat frozen burritos now without them being frozen! How often does that ever happen? Eh? Eh?

Which brings me to my next point... what on earth does it take to be a notary public? or whatever you call them... I had to get a document notarized today so as to make all my car problems float away like a butterfly, and the closest place I found was some guy that doesn't hardly even speak English, and he had me translate for him after staring at it for like 10 minutes. He put information in the wrong spaces, wrote his entire address as "Los Angeles", and then finally just stamped it. With a stamp that just says his name and address.

Charged me 10 dollars.

WHY? What is the purpose of this? Anyone can do that! I could have done it. Evidently the state of Washington thinks it's imperative that I pay some guy from India to stamp my paper, which literally says nothing more than this:

"I have read this paper, and I have stamped it."

Now it's good to go! Now it can be sent to the DOL in Washington where someone can actually process it and make some sort of purposeful result. But without that stamp? Hopeless.



---

1 comment:

  1. awwww, you're making friends! that didn't take long at all!

    ReplyDelete