Wednesday, August 26, 2009

La la la la la la I sing to keep from going insane.

Well I finally had my first job interview today. It went well but I never count my chickens before they hatch. Ever.

In fact I usually try to assume the very worst so I have only to be pleasantly surprised, no matter what happens.

And, unfortunately, I won't get to know much about this particular job for a week or two. But that's okay because my entire life I've always wanted to be an extra in a movie, so I think I might look into doing that pretty soon. Or at least as soon as I get my car registration sorted out. I swear it couldn't possibly be more complicated.

I'm no B Walker, with all manner of flow charts and such, but here's a simple description of why California is dumb:

  • Take car to be registered in California
  • Can't register until passes SMOG check
  • Due to California's unrealistically high standards, no 1991 Honda Civic will ever pass their SMOG check.
  • Car fails the SMOG check.
  • Must take car to be smog repaired.
  • No mechanic is willing to do it. Evidently it's impossible.
  • Car cannot be registered in the state.
  • Soon my tabs will expire and my car will be towed because I park it on the street.

Supposedly, there is a rule that if you spend a certain amount of money towards fixing the smog problem, you can obtain a waiver and be allowed to register the car without passing the test. But I have looked all over the internet to find the amount, or the waiver form, or anything that resembles some sort of sliver of hope. It's a well kept secret, it seems.

If you have found it, please post a link to it in the comments below.

Other than that, my only options are to either sell the car and buy a new one, or register it in Washington and hope that I never get pulled over. Lovely.


---

2 comments:

  1. Should've jumped on that Cash for Clunkers when you had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Yeah right. My car still gets 40 miles per gallon. It never would have met the requirements no matter how I tried to bend the truth.

    ReplyDelete