Saturday, August 8, 2009

The dumbest smart person quote ever.

Throughout my life I've heard several people say something like this:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

And then they claim that it was Albert Einstein who said it. And there are others who claim that it was Benjamin Franklin. No one has ever actually proven that either of them said it. And even if there is proof of it somewhere, the fact that Einstein said it does not make it an intelligent quote.

Some points to consider:

  • That's not the definition of insanity.
  • Doing the same thing again and again doesn't mean you're insane. I'm pretty sane, but when I can't find my keys, I'll look in the same spot 10 or 11 times.
  • It encourages the dangerous condition of learned helplessness.
  • It go against the idea of experimentation and practice.
  • If everyone continues to quote it to me again and again and again, and at last I finally give in and admit that it is a brilliant saying of truth and wisdom, it will immediately disprove itself.
Maybe I'll start making up my own quotes. How 'bout this:

"The definition of insanity is reading this blog entry and not immediately sending Stephen a check for $100."

Don't be insane! Just do it!


---

1 comment: