Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Oooooh wow...

I'm a big fan of really interesting documentaries.

Naturally just the word "documentary" is about as appealing as the word "taxes". It brings back horrible memories of 11th grade science classes, or even worse, 6th grade health classes. I don't know why but for some reason the videos were always like 30 years old and had warped to the point that the music would bend pitches all over the place.

But the truth is that documentaries give you a chance to see something that otherwise you would never get to see. Some guy risks his life to swim, with a camera, through a pack of giant jellyfish just so we can all see what it's like without having to do anything. It's amazing! I'm never going to swim through a pack of giant jellyfish! And the fact that it's legitimately real makes it so worthwhile.

I've recently gotten hooked on the series 30 Days.

It's made by the guy who did the film "Supersize Me." Basically he spends 30 days living the life of others. For example, I watched an episode last night where he spent 30 days in prison, including 3 days in solitary confinement. It's really interesting. I also recommend the episode where he spends 30 days trying to live on minimum wage.

It's really eye-opening stuff and it makes me feel super smart just to sit there in my chair and smugly think about how I'm all intellectual because I watch documentaries in my free time. And that's when I started developing a British accent and referring to movies as "films."


---

No comments:

Post a Comment