Saturday, September 26, 2009

Blood makes the grass grow

The homecoming game was last night, and by that I mean the annual flag football game between the Los Angeles 1st ward (my ward) and the Santa Monica 3rd, the two main singles wards in LA. They used to actually be the same ward, and then when they split, rivalries formed, friendships were lost, and hatred spread abroad.

No seriously, by watching this game, and especially playing in it, you would think that you had just gotten caught in the middle of the apocalypse.

I don't know what the deal is, but they were playing pretty dirty. It had to be the most violent game of "flag" football ever played. A lot of people got hurt, including one of our guys getting knocked out. They even tackled one of our guys at one point. That's just a cheap shot if you ask me. You don't tackle in flag football. Especially co-ed.

Nevertheless, we won, and it was glorious. It actually was a big deal because LA 1st hasn't won for years, mostly because their ward is twice our size, which I shouldn't care about since I just moved here... but I do.

I think we had the advantage this year because the other team were all so freaking full of themselves... thinking it would be an easy victory. Psssh. The final score was like 43 to 40 or something like that. We scored in the last 7 seconds. It was amazing, and I don't even like football.

I have a hard time taking football seriously. It's just so... dry. You play for like 12 seconds and then stop and do nothing for a minute or two... you get no cardio... you usually get hurt... a game that is supposedly only one hour long takes freaking four hours to play. Four hours! And the only reason the players can go for that long is because they don't do anything.

Anyway, it was all a lot bigger than I anticipated. we had uniforms, concessions...we even had mascots. We're the LA Gators, and they're the Silver Monkeys. Don't ask.













---

2 comments:

  1. did you make some sweet plays? I'm assuming you must have since you were wearing those gnarly gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really... Even with my gloves of catchingness I'm still pretty bad at football.

    ReplyDelete