Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The IN-N-OUT experience.

I feel like In-n-Out is not so much a fast food restaurant as it is a false idol for Californians. I went last night with a friend of mine who I shall call Martha, because that's her name.
Red and yellow kind of clash. Does no one else see this?
Part of the reason I went is because I was tired of everyone looking at me like some sort of scary alien bug when they hear that I have never been before. The other reason is that B. Walker bought me a gift card to the place for my birthday when he found out I was moving down here to LA.

I'm still not sure where he bought it, since that was in Provo.

As I've mentioned before, the hype and all the unbelievable hyperbolization I've heard about this place is ridiculous. It tastes good, but it's still fast food.

I am kind of impressed by the fact that a lot of things that you can order aren't on the menu, and yet everyone knows about them. There aren't even any hints or clues around or anything. There are a grand total of I think four things to choose from, which are

  • Hamburger
  • Cheeseburger
  • Fries
  • Drink
That's seriously all it says, and yet you can be all sneaky and order it "animal style" or get double stacks, or triple stacks, or quadruple stacks, or however many you feel like you need in order to shave a couple years off your lifespan.
I was educated before hand so it came naturally to say "I would like a cheeseburger, animal style, with some fries, also animal style, and a strawberry vanilla mix shake."

When you think about it though, it is considerably better than your typical burger joint, like Jack in the Box, or McDonald's or whatever, and the cost is about the same. Nevertheless, I feel that the main reason all Californians are obsessed with this place is because it's mostly only in Calfornia.

It seems as though a lot of people here have an unhealthy amount of pride in their state... I mean at least they have some things to be legitimately proud of, like Hollywood, amazing beaches, etc.

So it's not like annoying Texas where everyone's like "Don't mess with us! Ha ha yeah! Texas! No one messes with Texas! ha ha we're the biggest... oh wait no we're not cause Alaska is three times bigger...but we have horses!"

I think the reason no one messes with Texas is cause it sucks. How often do you ever hear your college friends say "Hey come on we're taking a crazy spontaneous road trip to Texas! These are the best years of our lives!"

You also might notice that no one ever messes with Minnesota. Doesn't make it cool.

One of my more flattering pictures.

All in all, I enjoyed it. It was good tasting, horribly unhealthy food. But I think it will take me a little more time before I start sacrificing sheep to it.


---

1 comment:

  1. A couple of things:

    1) One of the reasons that In-N-Out is so cool is because they're a TRUE burger joint. People can't go there to get salads, cinnamon twists, mini apple pies, etc. They go there to get burgers, fries, drinks and/or shakes. Period. And I am not from California.

    2) If you read the book, "Made to Stick" you will find the origin to the phrase, "Don't Mess with Texas." It is actually from a non-littering campaign. I'm not sure how many Texans actually even know where the saying comes from ...

    ReplyDelete