Monday, September 28, 2009

Did girls think back then?

Many of you are probably aware, by now, of the recent release of the Beatles version of Rock Band.

One of my buddies bought it and set it up in his place with his fancy-shmancy projector and surround sound system, and we made a party of it. It was way fun.


I think it's actually the first time I've played Rock Band and actually enjoyed it. Why? Because the Beatles' songs are actually singable. That's right. You can actually sing along with them instead of awkwardly trying to scream some non-melodic line that's annoying and out of range.

So the game is really well done, and it got me curious enough to look up the Beatles on Youtube to see just what they were really like in concert... I mean obviously I've never seen them because I was still dead at the time.

It's actually remarkably entertaining. Their performances were just fine, but what really amazes me is the audience. Take a look (trust me, it's worth watching):



It's just incredible to me how much the times have changed. Of course there are still rock stars that people go crazy for, but not like this. I mean the girls in this video are seriously freaking out. I can't hardly believe it. It's already enough that they're dressed funny, but seeing how ridiculously over-the-top emotional they are for some guys they've never met...

I can only imagine that it must have something to do with the fact that music wasn't nearly as accessible back then. I think that the internet has given people more freedom to choose what it is that they actually enjoy listening to, instead of just having the radio convince everyone that they must like the Beatles because there are no other options.

Today there doesn't seem to be any one group or musician or genre that everyone loves... or even anything close to a majority of people, and I think it's better that way.

Although I would love to go to a Cold Play concert sometime and see a bunch of girls balling their eyes out and eating their hats.


---

3 comments:

  1. Back when people still wore black suits and ties to their concerts. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I could have been there... I'd've been one of those girls too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me... but my friend James, went to Jerusalem with your friend Brooklyn, who once linked to my blog, so I followed hers, and now she has linked to yours, and now I follow yours. Phew... Now that that is out of the way...

    I loved those guys. If I was in charge of putting thought bubbles above their head, they would read something like, "Crap! Who are these girls??? Zombies? Just be cool... BE COOL! Yeah, that's it, just kinda bob the head back and forth to the music, maybe I can get outta here alive."

    Anyway, nice blog.

    ReplyDelete