Friday, July 31, 2009

"Hi there. How are you doing today?"

It's true what people say about the word "hate". It's a strong word. It should be reserved for only the very worst things in life, if anything at all. The following are what I consider to be appropriate uses for the word "hate":

  • I hate the Devil.
  • "I really hate the way you sometimes choose to be" - Micheal Scott
  • I hate ear infections.
  • I hate sales.
No matter how much I try and try to convince myself that I'm a very social person and have people skills and such, I have to finally be honest with myself and come to grips with reality. Of the few things that I can honestly say that I really truly hate with all my heart and soul, all of which are listed above, I hate sales the very most.

You heard me. I hate sales more than I hate the Devil.

For some reason it doesn't bother me at all when someone comes up to me and tries to sell me something. Or even calls me on my cell phone. In fact sometimes I even like it because they're always super nice to me. I know some nice people in this world but not like salesmen. Doesn't change the fact that I never buy anything from anyone. I just like to talk to them.

Unfortunately, not everyone in world is exactly like me (you can quote me on that).

The one thing that I despise most in the universe is trying to approach someone who I know doesn't want to be bothered, try to pretend like we're best friends and that I'm always excessively nice to everyone I meet, everywhere, and then try to convince them that they should buy something that they don't really need.

And every time someone who ultimately has no tact, or respect, or intelligence, and no soul, responds by being ruthlessly mean to me, it makes me feel like I've committed some unpardonable sin against all of humanity.

Missionary work in Oaxaca was different. I mean, aside from the fact that I had nothing to gain at all, meaning I wasn't selling anything, and it was for the best purpose in the world, and it was something that everyone actually needs, there was the added benefit that Mexicans are the most non-intimidating human beings on Earth.

I made a little sketch to illustrate this(it's a little rough, but basically about as good as I would have drawn it if I had a pen instead of a mouse):
They're all fantastic people... they're just a lot smaller. Plus they were nice to me.

It was after the mission that I discovered my refined hatred for bothering people. I did telemarketing sales for 1.5 months. Only commissions. Miserable job. My self-esteem dropped 18 notches. I'm still recovering from it. I would go to work, pick up a phone, and start making people mad. And it's impressive how mad they will get. You can't even understand it until you try it for yourself.

---

1 comment:

  1. I will totally take your word for it rather than trying it myself. And I am with you on the one thing you despise the most in the universe. That would be numero uno on my list too.

    ReplyDelete