Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fruit is the fruit of life.

I've recently discovered that one of the greatest things that you can experience in this lifetime is the combination of fresh strawberries and strawberry flavored yogurt. Especially right now since strawberries seem to be in season... not that I really have any idea when the seasons are for various fruits... But I was at the Sunflower Market the other day and they were selling 4 pounds of strawberries for 3 dollars. That means that they're in season, right?

Also a fine little treat is the combination of lemon cookies and lemon yogurt, though not quite as healthy...

But if you live near Orem or Murray and haven't checked that place out, you should. It's almost amusing how they'll sell whole pineapples for a dollar, nectarines for about 20 cents each, grapes are currently 77 cents per pound, but the cheapest loaf of bread they have there is about 4 dollars. Everything non-produce there is way expensive.

Eating fruit reminds me of my glory days spent pacing the sandy streets of Oaxaca Mexico, as a young man, and at least once a day we would stop at a mango tree and eat a couple of them. Or sometimes we would even just pick up a mango off the ground and eat it without thinking twice. The church building we used had so many gigantic mango trees in the yard that every Saturday night, the members would come and sweep up the fallen mangos into a big pile and burn them so they wouldn't be in the way for church on Sunday.
I decided to post this picture of one of my Oaxaquen bro-dawgs eating a mango in a rain storm, because you'll notice that it was taken exactly five years ago, yesterday. Time flies.

Anyway, try eating some strawberries with strawberry yogurt today and try to tell me that it's not the greatest thing that this earth has every produced. Go ahead and try. I triple-dog dare you.

---

1 comment:

  1. I'm really hungry now . . . and thirsty for orange juice.

    ReplyDelete