Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Follow your dreams!

Every now and then I'll stumble across some inspirational quotes, which are always fun to read but I don't understand why they always seem to have a common theme that is more or less the same:
"Everyone will tell you that you can't do it. But you can blah blah blah."
Lies. I've never met anyone that told me I can't succeed. In fact people almost always tend to grossly overestimate my abilities and convince me that I'm the most talented freak on the planet and that I cannot possibly fail no matter what.

I can't imagine any parent or spouse or whatever that would consciously be all up in your face like
"What's that, sweetheart? You want to be an astronaut? Well give up because YOU SUCK!! Time for dinner."
I imagine that if I ever did meet such a person, they would look a lot like this:

But you should never judge someone by their looks. And yes I did just draw that with my mouse. It's hard! Sheesh.

In fact it seems as though there's a strange correlation between the amount of marketable skills involved in your goals and dreams and the amount of encouragement you get from people telling you to pursue said dreams.

I've made a chart to help illustrate the point:

Anywho, as it turns out, I got accepted into the graduate film scoring program at USC, which is arguably the best film program in the world. A lot of work. A lot of money. I'll let you know if I become famous.


---

6 comments:

  1. congrats stephen that is awesome! not that i ever had any doubt, of course, because you are the most talented freak on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work stevo. I'm glad about this turn of events in your life....Although you're going to have to do some hard work to accumulate as much debt as I have. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! We should have gotten your autograph when we had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The common saying is that you can make money in two ways: 1) Doing stuff that other people can't; or 2) Doing stuff that other people won't.

    Take your pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Congratulations, Stephen. This good news has come about just in time, I think. Trying to organize your world by plotting coordinates on an x,y axis is so-o-o using the other side of your brain. Come back from the edge before it's too late. You could end up being a ....computer programmer or project manager if you're not careful. Your Unko Dale. (I hate 'anonymous', but it's easy.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know who I am, but I am impressed with your artistic talents (drawing) and have heard you know how to write cool music and play the piano pretty awesome. I got onto your blog through your bro Bryan. congrats!!

    ReplyDelete