Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I only listen to Horrorcore Rap

There are way too many genres of music out there nowadays. It is literally impossible to keep up with.

And I hate when people make up their own genre of music and then treat you like you're some uncultured pigme for not knowing what it is. Like today I read a listing on the Film Music Network of someone looking for some "Rocktonica."

I don't understand why someone would put up an ad looking for music, and expect to get what they want when they only describe it using words that they invented themselves. I mean, that one's not even on the Wikipedia list of music genres, which has literally thousands of made-up words that are completely useless.

Some of these "genres" of music are so ridiculously specific that they can only possibly describe one single song. You change one of the chords and it's no longer "Glitch" or "Gnawa" or "Goa Trance," but is now known as "Glam Punk." Conveniently those were all in the G section. I didn't feel like doing any real research here.

But you just change one instrument and it has crossed the void from some stupid sub-section of Country to some sub-section of Pop. And what is "pop"? No one really knows.

This
all brings me to one of my least favorite questions of all time.
"So what kind of music do you like?"
I really don't like that question. I like music that was written brilliantly and produced marvelously, that entertains me and makes me think. I don't care what "genre" it is. But I hate trying to explain that to people who were just looking for a one-word answer.


---

1 comment:

  1. I love this post...COMPLETELY TRUE....I'm right there with ya homie I hate that question as well hahaha...;)

    ReplyDelete